On February 19, 1850, the land that would be called Emmett Township was taken from the township of Clyde by an act of the Michigan Legislature. The town was not officially organized until years later when the name was changed to Emmett on April 21, 1883. The founding fathers named the area, the township and the village, after the person they considered to be a true Irish hero: Robert Emmett. The first land purchasers in Emmett were thought to have been Patrick and Bridget Keough Dunigan and their friend Michael Harrington. Much of the land was still inhabited by Native Americans, mostly from the Chippewa tribe. White settlers told stories about Indians coming into the cabins and sleeping by the fire on nights when the temperature was below zero. To pay for the night's lodging, rabbits and other small offerings might be found on the roof of the cabin in the morning. (Why the roof? To keep the meat away from wolves.)fArMAll super C. Martin Weir (far left) poses with employees of Fred Weir aamp; Son farm implement dealership in front of a new Farmall Super C tractor. ... This photograph was professionally taken and used in promotional literature in 1953.
|Author||:||Marian Brennan Pratt|
|Publisher||:||Arcadia Publishing - 2012|