The Greek community in Phoenix began in 1907, when the Sanichas brothers, Charles and Chris, arrived in the city to establish the Sanichas Confectionery Store. By 1912, the year of Arizona's statehood, the community had grown to nine families, including the Georgouses family of five brothers. In 1930, ground was broken for the construction of the Hellenic Community House, where religious services were held until l947, when the Hellenic Orthodox Church was built. Today the legacy of the area's Greek pioneers lives on through the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral, which has established a research archive and museum to preserve and celebrate the Greek history of Phoenix.This included confectionery manufacturing and sales, shoe repair, fruit and vegetable vending, hat blocking and dry ... Curtis); Michael P. Theodore, Insurance Broker; Tonya#39;s Shoe Repair (Tony Thomas); the Troc Tavern (Gus P. Contos); andanbsp;...
|Title||:||Greeks in Phoenix|
|Publisher||:||Arcadia Publishing - 2008|