Founded in 1632, the library of the Kiev Mohyla Academy went up in flames in 1780. Encompassing predominantly humanist, scholastic and homiletic titles in Latin yet placed in a heartland of Eastern Orthodox territories, the library was something of an anomaly for its time, offering East Slavic intellectuals a comprehensive introduction to Western printed matter. Those books brought along with them not only a new pattern of knowledge, but also an awareness of the diversity and multiplicity of views which the educated could hold.1 3 Kononovich-Gorbatsky was the author of the earliest existing manual of philosophy composed by the college ... 30 The title is recorded in the catalogue of Ilariona#39;s donations as a#39;Libri Corderi in Psalmos in 3bus tomisa#39;: IM VNLU, DA/p. 221anbsp;...
|Title||:||Latin Books and the Eastern Orthodox Clerical Elite in Kiev, 1632-1780|
|Publisher||:||Manchester University Press - 2006-09-19|